The First Homemade Bread Recipe Created by Me

Thursday, April 11, 2013

I finally did it. I attempted to create my own homemade bread recipe, and guess what y'all, it actually worked! (If you didn't notice that statement is me channelling my inner Paula Deen.) Unlike Mrs. Deen my bread does not contain a stick of butter (not that we don't all love butter but this was an attempt at healthy).

I struggled somewhat with sharing this recipe. Mostly the self deprecating struggle of thinking people would hate it. However one of my good friends texted asking for a good whole wheat bread recipe and I thought why not send it to her and  see what she thinks. I sent it and she loved it. Then she posted a picture on Instagram of it and people started asking for the recipe. So then I thought if they want this and she loved it why not share it on the blog so everyone can love it.

I'll stop rambling now and share the recipe. Thanks for listening and I hope that you guys love it as much as Jose and I do!


Charity's Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients: 
1 package of rapid rise yeast

1 3/4 cup of warm water

2-4 Tablespoons molasses

1 teaspoon salt

2-4 Table spoons vegetable oil

4 cups of flour ( For whole wheat bread use 3 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose/bread flour)

Directions: 
1. Add molasses, yeast, and warm water in mixing bowl, whisk to combine and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Or until bubbly on top. 

2. Once bubbly add oil, salt, and half flour. Mix until combined

3. Add remaining flour until the dough is slightly sticky (add more all purpose/bread flour if necessary)

4. Knead dough in mixer (or if your are feeling frisky by hand) for about 10 minutes.

5. Place dough and mixing bowl in a warm place and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size. Takes about an hour. ( I put mine in the oven with a bowl of boiling water and the oven light on)

6. Once doubled punch dough down and turn out onto a vegetable shortening covered surface. 

7. Separate into two equal sized portions. 

8. Pace one half into each bread pan (make sure you have coated the bread pans with vegetable shortening as well)

9. Allow bread to rise until the edges are slightly above the sides of the pan. 

10. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden and crispy. 

11. Turn out onto wire racks and allow to cool before cutting. 


4 comments :

  1. This is awesome, Charity! I'm an avid baker and adore making my own bread! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I am also an avid baker (I have a small fantasy to open my own bakery one day) I have just recently been converted to making my own bread on a regular basis and am amazed at how much better it tastes. And it saves so much money too! Thanks again for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good! One day I hope to be brave enough to make bread. I've always thought it was way complicated and that I would need a bread-making-machine :) Your recipe actually sounds do-able!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to think you could only make bread with a bread machine too! Then I tried it without one and I was amazed at the ease!

      Delete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs