Let's Get Rugged

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Jose and I participated in our first ever Rugged Maniac on Saturday. Haven't heard of such a thing? Then visit here to learn all about it. Doing this race was Jose's idea. He wanted to see what it was like to do a mud run with obstacles before he signs up to do the Spartan Races next year.

So off to North Carolina we went on Friday night. Due to my poor planning we actually slept in the back of the Prius at a rest area Friday night. (Apparently a lot of people do this race and had already booked hotel rooms. Who would have thought?) Anyway we woke up around seven am on Saturday and headed to where the race parking and shuttle were. Oh did I mention that in North Carolina it was not the wonderful eighty degree weather we had been experiencing down south. Instead we woke up to forty degree weather! Once we reached the race site we checked in and mentally prepared to get down to the business of running this race.

We ran in the first wave and I am so glad we did. I think I would have lost my nerve if I actually had to watch people doing this crazy run. I will let the pictures speak for themselves on this one.














A few other highlights from the race were that Jose lost his glasses on the giant water slide, I fell in the water within the first half mile (and inhaled a good deal of lake water), Jose completed every obstacle until he lost his glasses, and we both sustained minor cuts and bruises. If you are wondering if I would do this again, well I think a few conditions would have to be met first. For instance I would do one of these in the dead of summer so when I fell in the lake first thing I did not freeze the rest of the day. Jose however loved it (apart from losing his glasses) and will more than likely do many of these in the future.

How was your weekend? Do anything challenging? What about any running? I would love to hear about it. Just leave us a comment or shoot us an email. We love to hear from you!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs