Turning a Famed Comic Strip into Art

Monday, June 17, 2013

Sorry guys that I did not make it around to posting this on Thursday. It has been a busy week. My mom came into town and so I was enjoying rare time with her. Anyway what I was planning to tell you guys about is our newly completed Calvin and Hobbes art work for the living room. If you have checked out the home tour page then you have seen half of this baby.

I can take no credit for this project. Jose did it all. (Hence the reason it was done in stages, silly law school got in the way) But now that it is done I love it! I mean I will admit I was a little skeptical of how a comic strip would look on our wall. I was thinking it would look a little bit college apartment for my tastes. However I think the finished product looks amazing! It really fills in the space on our one massive wall with no window.



Well now that I have gushed about how awesome it is and how amazing my hubby is lets get down to business. How did he do it? Well here's the part that took a few revisions to get it right. Our first thought was to just have each panel printed on trace paper so it could easily be transferred. (Turns out no one prints on trace paper.) Plan two was to have the images printed at staples (which we did) and then just tape them to the back of the canvas and trace them that way. This way half way worked. The only drawback to this was trying to get enough light through the canvas to see the print. The third and final attempt was a combination of taping it to the back and just free handing what you could not see.

As you can see they turned out amazing and we have a large wall of art work for under $50 dollars. (We caught the canvases on sale at A.C. Moore.) Also if you are wondering what supplies we used here they are:
4 18x24 Canvas
Regular Sharpie
Brush Tip Sharpie
Prints of your favorite comic from Staples

12 comments :

  1. This looks great! Thank you for sharing!

    I found you on the Give Me The Goods Monday link party. have a terrific week!

    Ritchil
    http://chengand3kids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Charity! You guys are so talented (and inspirational)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charity,
    How fun to have original art! I love that!
    Thank you so much for Linking Up at Brag About It @VMG206 this week. We are so happy to have you join us!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Please Link Up at my NEW party!! Open NOW (Sat thru Fri) @ DIY Showcase Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. You simple cannot go wrong with Calvin and Hobbes hanging in your home - WE LOVE IT! Fun idea.

    So glad you linked up with us at the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Link and Hop.

    Thanks for linking back to BeBetsy-we appreciate it.

    Have a great weekend~xo
    Sharon and Denise!
    http://bebetsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so glad I found your party! Can't wait to make it a regular visit.

      Delete
  5. I loved Calvin & Hobbes when I was a kid. This is such a cute project and adds personality to the room! Thank you so much for linking this up to Frugal Crafty Home! I hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calvin and Hobbes is my husbands favorite comic as well. We have almost all of the books. I am so glad I found your link up and I look forward to many more weeks!

      Delete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs